Wednesday 17 March 2010

Steam Beta – My thoughts.

I was bored one day, and I thought that I should give the beta version a try, it was free so I wasn’t going to miss out on anything,
and if I didn’t like it. I could just go back to the original steam client.

Thankfully this was not the case.

It seems that the steam beta is a hit or miss kind of deal with some people. Personally I love it, but at the end of the day you either love it
or hate it.

Capture2

I like the beta as it allows me to organise all of my games into specific lists, and categories of my choosing with ease, in the previous version of steam,
all of my games were unorganised and hard to find, with this new feature included in the beta. It makes my life so much easier.
Also it allows me to see any relevant game updates or releases at a glance, in contrast to the older steam client I had to right click on each game
just to see if there were any updates. It’s a nice user interface. The in game overlay and web browser have also been improved. Simple and easy to use.

Capture3

Now onto what might push you away from the steam beta.
First of all, your not going to be able to chat to other players using the in game overlay, which I find annoying but not too much of a problem.
Secondly, some games might have a hard time working with the steam beta. This hasn’t been the case for me, but reading around on the internet,
I’ve found that some people have this issue. It is something you might want to take into account when trying the beta out.

My final verdict;

This steam beta is good for those who want to save time, and are looking for a much easier and better looking interface with better organisation.
If your worried about not having the chat and some games work then I would avoid it until the final release.

If you don’t like the beta, you can always revert back to the original steam client. You have to keep in mind that the new steam is in beta and will have the
odd issue from time to time.

 

Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment